Myanmar Junta’s ceasefire claimed amid earthquake crisis, but fighting persists, says opposition  

Myanmar anti-regime forces claims despite declaring a temporary ceasefire Junta continues attacks in country hit by earthquake.
A 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit Myanmar on March 28, 2025. Photo Courtesy: Unsplash

Myanmar’s anti-regime forces claimed that despite declaring a temporary ceasefire on Wednesday following the deadly earthquake that hit the nation recently, the country’s military junta has not stopped carrying out air and ground attacks.

The junta announced a three-week ceasefire amid growing criticism of the junta’s military operations across the nation.

“Out of compassion for the earthquake-affected people and to facilitate swift humanitarian and reconstruction operations, the Tatmadaw hereby declares a temporary ceasefire from April 2-22,” the regime said in a statement as quoted by Myanmar Now.

Kachin Independence Army (KIA), an opponent of the junta regime, reported airstrikes and ground offensives in several areas of the country.

“We saw that they released a ceasefire statement. However, the fighting hasn’t stopped,” group’s spokesperson Col. Naw Bu was quoted as saying by Myanmar Now.

“The airstrikes in Bhamo started yesterday and continued until around 6:30 this morning,” he said.

Asked about how the KIA’s response, he said: “If they attack, of course we will defend ourselves by fighting back. So we expect there will be more fighting.”

UN intensifies call for immediate aid

Amid ongoing military airstrikes and growing humanitarian needs following last week’s 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Myanmar, the UN has intensified calls for immediate, unhindered aid access to assist millions affected by the disaster.

Despite the military’s announcement of a ceasefire, attacks have continued across the country, exacerbating an already dire situation, UN human rights chief Volker Türk warned on Friday.

“In the days following the deadly earthquake that tore through central Myanmar last week, the Myanmar military continued operations and attacks, including airstrikes – some of which were launched shortly after tremors subsided,” said Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the High Commissioner for Human Rights.

“We urge a halt to all military operations and for the focus to be on assisting those impacted by the quake,” she told journalists in Geneva, reiterating Mr. Türk’s call for an “inclusive political solution” to end more than four years of fighting sparked by the junta’s February 2021 coup d’état.

Latest data from the UN human rights office, OHCHR, points to at least 61 reported attacks across Myanmar since the disaster happened, including 16 since the ceasefire announced by the military was supposed to take effect on 2 April.

A broad coalition of opposition armed groups has declared a temporary truce on offensive operations to facilitate emergency aid.

A broad coalition of opposition armed groups have declared a temporary truce on offensive operations to facilitate emergency aid.

The tactics of the military – known as the Tatmadaw in Myanmar – include using near-silent adapted paragliders to bomb communities, said James Rodehaver, Head of OHCHR’s Myanmar team.

“What those are is an individual military operative who uses a hang-glider with a backpack attached to his back or to his torso with a large fan on it and he uses that to essentially paraglide using the fan as a motor over areas and drop hand-held bombs or munitions onto targets below,” Rodehaver said.

UN Relief chief arrives in Myanmar

Against this backdrop, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, Tom Fletcher, arrived in Myanmar on Friday to assess the scale of devastation and meet survivors and aid workers.

After briefings with humanitarian teams in Yangon, Fletcher travelled to Myanmar’s second largest city, Mandalay, near the epicentre of the quake, where 80 percent of the buildings are estimated to have collapsed.

There, he met with frontline humanitarians and community organizations who have been leading earthquake response, applauding their “courage, skill and determination”.

“Many themselves lost everything and yet kept heading out to support survivors,” he said in a post on social media.